The University of Alberta is moving to eliminate the current $45 fee charged for a deferred exam.
During the January 19 General Faculties Council's Academic Standards Committee (ASC) meeting, a discussion item was presented regarding deferred exam fees. The committee focused on two principles in particular: that the practices used around deferred exam fees should be consistent across all faculties, and that fees could be a potential deterrent to deferred exams.
"The SU is strongly in favour of the removal of these fees, and we're pleased that this is going ahead," explained Emerson Csorba, Vice-President (Academic) of the Students' Union. "It is unjustifiable to charge students up to $225 to write their exams after facing an illness, personal or family issues or the death of a family member or friend."
A large contingent of ASC, largely made up of associate deans, expressed the same sentiment. The Committee's recommendation will be presented to U of A Provost and Vice-President (Academic) for consideration.
Currently, only two faculties, Business and Engineering, waive deferred exam fees for students facing extraordinary circumstances.
"It's great that all students will now be better able to write exams when they are mentally and physically ready, rather than feel academic pressure in addition to other trials," Csorba said.
For more information please contact:
External Communications & Media Advisor
University of Alberta Students’ Union
- Students' Union welcomes Dr. André Costopoulos, new Dean of Students ...
- Students' Council and General Faculties Council Election results
- University of Alberta increases accountability and transparency of Mandatory Non-Instructional ...
- Candidates announced for Students' Council and General Faculties Council Elections
- SU Election Results
- Candidates for the 2014-2015 SU Executive Election
- The CoSSS Fee and FGSR
- Students Concerned Elections Changes will Inhibit Youth Vote
- University of Alberta Students and Administration Make Positive Strides to ...
- Students Prepare to Launch an International Students' Association
- SU Releases Discussion Paper on the Peter Lougheed Leadership College
- The Students’ Union celebrates Green & Gold Day
- Continuing Undergraduate Scholarships On Schedule
- SUB Renovation Update: Phase 2 of storm sewer relocation work ...
- SUB Renovation Update: Site preparation for Phase 2 of storm ...
- Get Involved!
- The Daily Grind sets up shop, RATT reopens!
- Getting Involved in SU Advocacy!
- U of A Withholds up to $500,000 in Scholarships