2022 Students' Union Elections
2022 SU Student Council & General Faculties Council Election Dates
17th: Council Nomination Packages deadline @ 5PM -- EXTENDED
17th: Candidates Meeting @ 7PM (UPDATED)
17th: Campaign Begins @ 8PM (UPDATED)
23rd SC & GFC Elections Day 1 Starts @ 9AM
24th SC & GFC Elections Day 2 ends @ 4PM
NOTE: The Elections Office holds the right to change any of the dates and times above without prior notice.
There are typically three elections throughout the year:
1. Fall By-Election
- Election to fill vacancies on Students' Council and the General Faculties Council.
- Occurs during the first week of October each year.
2. Students' Union Executive Committee/Undergraduate Board of Governors Representative Election
- Election to fill the President, Vice Presidents, and Board of Governors representative positions.
- Plebiscite and/or Referenda questions, if any, occur during this election.
- Occurs during the first week of March each year.
3. Students' Council (SC)/General Faculties Council (GFC) Elections
- Election of councillors from the various faculties to either Students' Council or the General Faculties Council.
- Faculty Association (FA) elections are encouraged to participate.
- Occurs during third week in March each year.
Bodies Elected by Students' Union Members
- President: Acts as the primary spokesperson for the Students’ Union.
- VP Academic: Advocates for students' interests within the University community and beyond.
- VP External: Responsible for Students' Union government and community relations.
- VP Operations and Finance: Responsible for managing the SU's $10 million budget.
- VP Student Life: Responsible for university-related non-academic issues.
Acts as a voice for the undergraduate student body on the University of Alberta Board of Governors, the ultimate decision making authority of the university. This student works in coordination with the SU President (another BoG member) and also sits as a voting member of the SU Students' Council.
The highest governing body of the Students' Union. This council has ultimate decision-making authority over all aspects of the organization.
The academic legislative body of the University of Alberta. This council deals with all academic matters and student affairs issues (as set out in the Alberta Post-Secondary Learning Act). It is the highest level at which academic decisions are made, and is chaired by the President of the University of Alberta.
Plebiscites and Referenda
Plebiscites and referenda can either be initiated by SU Students' Council or by individual SU members. For more information, please visit Plebiscites and Referenda.
After casting your ballot in the SU General Election, you will have the option to vote in the APIRG Board Elections. APIRG is a student-run, student-funded, non-profit organization dedicated to research, education, advocacy, and action in the public interest.
Interested in running for a position on the APIRG Board? Find more information on the APIRG elections here.
SU Elections Results Archive
Take a look back at the Round-by-Round results and winners of past elections.
Students' Union Elections Office
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW