Presentations have been perfected and judges’ clipboards are out for the first University of Alberta Undergraduate Research Symposium, organized by the Students’ Union.
The event begins this evening with a dinner and keynote. U of A President Indira Samarasekera and Engineering professor John Nychka are among the speakers. A poster competition occurs all day Friday and will showcase over 120 undergraduate student research projects across all disciplines.
“This event is one of the largest of its kind,” said Emerson Csorba, SU Vice President (Academic). “Demand is on the rise for engaged learning like research. The U of A is a leading research institution and every student who comes here should be able to benefit from that advantage.”
The event also provides students who want to become involved in research the chance to connect with opportunities that interest them.
“Participating in research helps students foster a sense of ownership of their education,” said Jessica McAllister, a 4th year nursing student who is presenting her own work on emergency care of seniors. “Discovering things yourself supplements what's learned from professors or textbooks.”
The symposium concludes Friday afternoon, where $9,000 in 20 academic awards will be given to the researchers of the most outstanding projects.
Undergraduate Research Symposium
Nov. 17, 6 p.m. & Nov. 18, 10 a.m. to 4pm
Dinwoodie Lounge, Students’ Union Building
and the Centennial Centre for Interdisciplinary Science
For more information please contact:
External Communications & Media Advisor
University of Alberta Students’ Union
- Students' Union welcomes Dr. André Costopoulos, new Dean of Students ...
- Students' Council and General Faculties Council Election results
- University of Alberta increases accountability and transparency of Mandatory Non-Instructional ...
- Candidates announced for Students' Council and General Faculties Council Elections
- SU Election Results
- Candidates for the 2014-2015 SU Executive Election
- The CoSSS Fee and FGSR
- Students Concerned Elections Changes will Inhibit Youth Vote
- University of Alberta Students and Administration Make Positive Strides to ...
- Students Prepare to Launch an International Students' Association
- SU Releases Discussion Paper on the Peter Lougheed Leadership College
- The Students’ Union celebrates Green & Gold Day
- Continuing Undergraduate Scholarships On Schedule
- SUB Renovation Update: Phase 2 of storm sewer relocation work ...
- SUB Renovation Update: Site preparation for Phase 2 of storm ...
- Get Involved!
- The Daily Grind sets up shop, RATT reopens!
- Getting Involved in SU Advocacy!
- U of A Withholds up to $500,000 in Scholarships