Welcome to Student Leaders Week 2020!
Student Leaders Week (SLW) is a week-long series of sessions intended to be the ultimate way for you to get your foot in the door in leadership and governance. Leadership is multifaceted and includes many components, including governance.
As a student you will have numerous opportunities to become a leader in whatever field you are in, whether it’s in your academic field, or in student governance. Simply stated, governance is the process by which every single decision on this campus is made: from your U-Pass, your Reading Week, to your Week of Welcome Events, these are all decisions made by students, for students.
SLW runs from January 20 to 23, with engaging sessions that include public speaking, EDI in leadership, and managing a campaign.
Follow SLW on Facebook: RSVP to our event and follow the hashtag #SLW2020
Below is an overview of the week's events. (note that refreshments will be served at all events).
Click here to see a detailed listing of all the sessions.
Monday January 20
- Sustainability & Capital Plan Focus Group (11AM - 12 pm; Orion Room)
- Defining Leadership (2 pm - 3 pm; Orion Room)
- Illusion or Influence? Increasing youth engagement in Parliament (4 pm - 6 pm; SUB Atrium)
Tuesday January 21
- Social Media and Campaigning (12:30 pm - 1:30 pm; Orion Room)
- Public Speaking (2 pm - 3 pm; Orion Room)
- Students’ Council Open House (5 pm - 9 pm; SUB Atrium)
Wednesday January 22
- Social Media and Campaigning (12 pm - 1 pm; Orion Room)
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion in Leadership (2 pm - 3 pm; Orion Room)
- Indigenous Governance and Leadership Panel (4 pm - 6 pm; SUB Atrium)
- Wings and Things (8 pm - 10 pm; Room at the Top)
Thursday January 23
- Governance 101 (12 pm - 1 pm; Orion Room)
- How to Manage a Campaign and Stay Sane (2 pm - 3 pm; Orion Room)
- Your SU Townhall (4 pm - 6 pm; Orion Room)
Student Leaders Week began in 2016, when it was called GovWeek
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW