U of A Students Respond to Shooting
The University of Alberta Students’ Union (SU) and Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) responded with sadness today to the robbery-shooting that took place early Friday morning.
“We’re shocked at the violence and saddened by the news that these individuals lost their lives,” said SU President Colten Yamagishi and GSA President Ashlyn Bernier. “Our thoughts go out to the families of the victims.”
“It is in these tragic moments that we must stand strong as a community, and we offer our support to the Dean of Students’ office and the University of Alberta community.”
SU Vice President (Academic) Dustin Chelen expressed his gratitude for the University’s display of compassion, allowing students the option to defer final exams scheduled today.
Students have been touched by the messages of support and the condolences that have been flowing into the U of A from across various social media platforms.
“This has been a difficult morning for our students, and especially for those who live on campus,” added GSA Vice President (Student Life) Huimin Zhong and SU Vice President (Student Life) Saadiq Sumar.
“In light of these tragic events, we’re just thankful that our students in the affected residence were unharmed.”
The SU and the GSA encourage any students who have been affected by the shooting to make use of the counseling services that the University is providing at Lister Hall.
For more information, please contact:
External Communications & Media Advisor
University of Alberta Students’ Union
P: 780.492.4236 E:firstname.lastname@example.org
President – Graduate Students’ Association
- Students' Union welcomes Dr. André Costopoulos, new Dean of Students ...
- Students' Council and General Faculties Council Election results
- University of Alberta increases accountability and transparency of Mandatory Non-Instructional ...
- Candidates announced for Students' Council and General Faculties Council Elections
- SU Election Results
- Candidates for the 2014-2015 SU Executive Election
- The CoSSS Fee and FGSR
- Students Concerned Elections Changes will Inhibit Youth Vote
- University of Alberta Students and Administration Make Positive Strides to ...
- Students Prepare to Launch an International Students' Association
- SU Releases Discussion Paper on the Peter Lougheed Leadership College
- The Students’ Union celebrates Green & Gold Day
- Continuing Undergraduate Scholarships On Schedule
- SUB Renovation Update: Phase 2 of storm sewer relocation work ...
- SUB Renovation Update: Site preparation for Phase 2 of storm ...
- Get Involved!
- The Daily Grind sets up shop, RATT reopens!
- Getting Involved in SU Advocacy!
- U of A Withholds up to $500,000 in Scholarships