A letter from Vice President (Academic) Emerson Csorba:
I hope that you had an awesome first week back at the U of A, and that you enjoyed volunteering for WOW and Orientation (if you happen to be one of the 700 or so volunteers that did that).
As Vice President (Academic), I serve on about 40 - if not more - university committees. All of these committees are important, and deal with different aspects of the Academy. This year, I plan on delegating about a dozen of these committees to other students. That means that you attend the committee meetings instead of me, in a role where your voice represents the near 30,000 undergraduates on campus. After serving as an Orientation TF last year, I served on a few university committees, and really enjoyed the experience. If you're interested in serving on one of the committees described below, please send me off an e-mail at email@example.com and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
I hope that you are interested in these opportunities, and I wish you great success in the upcoming year! Also, feel free to drop by SUB 2-900 if you ever have questions or concerns. My door is always open.
For more information please contact:
Vice President (Academic)
University of Alberta Students’ Union
- Arts Acquisition Committee: Meets infrequently, and determines the types of the art the university should purchase.
- Community Service Learning Advisory Board: Oversees the community service learning programs at the university. If you have participated in CSL classes at the U of A, this might be right up your alley.
- Administrative Information Systems Steering Committee: Deals extensively with the running of Beartracks.
- Writing Centre Committee: If you are interested in the quality of writing services offered by the university, this is for you.
- Festival of Teaching Steering Committee: Plans the upcoming Festival of Teaching, which takes place in March and celebrates teaching and learning at the U of A. This is a university initiative of growing importance.
- University Research Policy Committee: If you are interested in how research is conducted at the U of A, serving on this committee might be of interest to you.
- President's Standing Committee on Convocation: This committee provides direction for the organization of U of A convocation ceremonies.
- Faculty-Based ICT Steering Committee: Students interested in potential enhancements to technology usage in the classroom should consider serving on this body.
- Green and Gold Student Leadership and Professional Development Grant Adjudication Committee: The university is unveiling a new professional development grant, and one student is needed to serve on the committee that selects recipients of the grant funds.
- Transfer Credit Arts and Science Working Group: A working group is being struck in order to implement changes to the way that transfer credits are awarded in the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Science. This is a big initiative that affects your study abroad experiences.
Other committee-related opportunities will arise throughout the year, so if you are interested in serving at a later date, please feel free to contact me.