Bike Library & Workshop
1-13 South Academic Building: walk down the ramp, through the double doors, then take the first right.
Hours of Operation
Fall 2019 & Winter 2020: Tuesdays and Thursdays: 1:00 - 5:00PM
NOTE: Please note that as of Thursday, October 10th, the Bike Library & Workshop will close up its Bike Rental service for the season. The last day to rent a bicycle for a 1-week rental period is Thursday, October 3rd.
We thank you for your patronage over the spring and summer months, and for choosing sustainable transportation!
Rentals will recommence in the spring months of 2020.
The Workshop will remain open throughout the Winter semester, operating on the Fall/Winter Hours listed above!
The Bike Library and Workshop is a fully equipped community bike workshop on campus at the University of Alberta. We provide the space and tools necessary to repair and maintain your bike and the services of our hired bike mechanic and skilled volunteers to teach you how to do it! We also provide bike rentals and have a wide variety of new and used parts for sale. We are run with the aid of several dedicated volunteers and sponsored by the Office of Sustainability.
Our full list of services includes:
- Bicycle rentals
- A workshop space with everything you need to fix your bicycle, including a bicycle mechanic!
- New and used parts for sale
- Workshops and other opportunities to learn about bike safety, bike maintenance and cycling in Edmonton
- Volunteer opportunities
Renting A Bike
The Bike Library and Workshop rents bikes to campus community members (students, staff and faculty). We have approximately 50 bikes available to rent for up to 4 weeks. Our bike selection ranges from mountain bikes, cruisers, road bikes and various hybrids. All Sustain SU bikes come equipped with a U-lock, front and back lights, and a bell. The bike rental season begins in early April and closes in late October.
Submit your Rental Agreement and Waiver of Liability before you come in via this Google Form. Then stop by the Bike Library & Workshop (SAB 1-13) in person during drop in hours.
Note: please allow yourself enough time for bike rentals. Demand is high in the summer and fall months, so you may be waiting up to 15 minutes for service. We will require your completion of a Rental Agreement and Waiver of Liability. We reserve the right to refuse processing rentals or returns after 4:30 p.m.
- Sustain SU bicycle
- Sturdy U-lock
- Front and back lights
- $15/week up to 4 weeks
- Minimum rental duration is 1 week
- We ask for a $120 deposit with all rentals. This deposit will be returned to you upon the return of all rented materials in good condition.
- Debit (under $100)
- As of August 1st, 2019, we have increased the late fee. We will now deduct $20/day from your deposit for each day the BLW is open and you are late returning your bike, up to $60/week.
Loss, Theft, and Damage:
- If your bike and/or any of the accompanying accessories are lost or stolen, the value of the item will be deducted from your deposit. These deductions from the deposit allow us to replace or repair the bike and continue operating the program.
- The maximum amount of time you may rent a bicycle for is 4 weeks. After four weeks you must return your bicycle to the Bike Library and Workshop for a safety check up
- Depending on demand for bicycle rentals, you may be able to renew your bicycle when you return it. This is to ensure that all students have an equal opportunity to access our service.
- If you are unable to renew your bicycle due to high demand, keep checking back as it usually takes about one week for a bicycle to become available for you.
Have you rented from us recently? We'd love your feedback!
Volunteer With Us!
Interested in learning useful bike mechanic skills? Want to meet other cycling enthusiasts? Looking for a way to get involved in sustainability on campus? If you answered yes to one or all of these questions then the Bike Library and Workshop is the place for you! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please note that all new volunteers are required to undergo a 2-hour long basic bike maintenance training.
Why become a Bike Library Volunteer?
- Learn and practice bike maintenance skills
- Volunteer in a fun, fast paced, hands on environment
- Attend “Volunteers Only” skill building workshops for free
- Receive a discount on bike parts
We'll send you bi-weekly updates on upcoming workshops, events, and volunteer opportunities.
The Bike Library & Workshop provides access to affordable transportation with a lower carbon footprint.
For information about cycling in Edmonton, check out the Bike Edmonton website.
Fall 2019 & Winter 2020:
Tuesdays & Thursdays
1:00 - 5:00PM
South Academic Building (SAB)
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G7