Single Source Cold Beverage Policy
The following is an excerpt from the agreement signed by the Governors of the University of Alberta, the University of Alberta Students’ Union, and the Coca-Cola Bottling Company on June 1, 2015. It is set to expire on June 1, 2025.
Public events held on the University of Alberta campus are not allowed to serve non-Coca-Cola products due to this non-competition clause.
Students who wish to see the full agreement may do so by contacting the VP Operations & Finance of the Students’ Union at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University and the Students’ Union will ensure that, except as otherwise stated in this Agreement:
- no Competitor Cold Beverages are sold on Campus;
- no Competitors are permitted to advertise on Campus, including trademark visibility, promotional rights, or the appearance of association with the Campus, the University or the Students’ Union;
- no member of the Teams will be permitted to use the University name, the Team name, trademark of uniform in connection with the sponsorship or endorsement of Competitor Cold Beverages; and
- the University will promptly oppose any attempts by a Competitor to associate with the University or Teams in any fashion.
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary expressed or implied in Sections 7.01 and 7.02 or elsewhere in this Agreement, Coca-Cola acknowledges that neither the University nor the Students’ Union can control or restrict the use on Campus of Cold Beverage Products in the following circumstances:
- products brought onto Campus by any person for individual consumption or for private events, being those events or activities held on Campus which are attended by invitation only and which are not open to general public attendance or general student body attendance;
- major events or exhibitions on Campus the sponsorship, support or promotion of which by a Competitor was negotiated by a third party other than the University or the Students’ Union, and where the University and the Students’ Union did not have a reasonable opportunity to influence the choice of sponsor, including without limitation athletic events, charitable or entertainment events, educational events, traveling exhibitions or touring shows; PROVIDED THAT the University and the Students’ Union will use reasonable efforts to discourage the sale, supply, sampling or advertising of Competitor Cold Beverages at any of such major events or exhibitions (other than the athletic events referred to in Section 7.03(d) or those which have national or government sponsorship) and if such sale, supply, sampling or advertising of Competitor Cold Beverages occurs, it shall not constitute a breach of this Agreement by the University or the Students’ Union;
- The University or the Students’ Union will use commercially reasonable efforts to provide written notice to Service Provider of any major events or exhibitions which are expected to continue for a period of more than three (3) days;
- television, radio or other media coverage of major events on Campus, which coverage is sponsored by a Competitor and such coverage was negotiated by a third party other than the University or the Students Union, and where the University and the Students’ Union did not have a reasonable opportunity to influence the choice of sponsor;
- participation by one or more of the Teams in any of the following conference or interuniversity or university leagues or associations:
- CIS - Canadian Interuniversity Sport;
- NAIA - National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics;
- NCAA - National Collegiate Athletic Association;
- CWUAA - Canada West University Athletic Association;
- advertising of Competitor Cold Beverages in flyers, posters, magazines, newspapers, radio, television and other media (including Internet) not published or controlled by the University and the Students’ Union.
None of the events referred to in this section 7.03 shall result in any restriction in the supply of the Service Provider Beverages on Campus or any advertising of Competitor Cold Beverages beyond the duration and location of the specific event, and Service Provider’s signage will not be covered, non-illuminated or removed during any specific event, except and unless the specific event is or relates to a national or government sponsored athletic event (such is, by way of example, the Pan Am Games).
If the University and the Students’ Union have a reasonable opportunity to influence the choice of sponsor with respect to any events or exhibitions occurring on Campus during the Term (as referred to in this Section 7.03), the University and the Students’ Union will use reasonable commercial efforts to encourage and promote Service Provider as a sponsor. The occurrence of any of the circumstances described in subsections (a) to (e) of this Section 7.03 shall not constitute a breach of the obligations of the University and the Students’ Union pursuant to this Agreement.
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW