Where involvement begins.
Event Planning and Submission Process
Brainstorm Ideas and Set Goals
- What is the purpose of your event? (e.g. social, recruitment, fundraiser, etc.)
- Ideally, how many people would you like to attend?
- What do you want them to gain from the event? What will your group gain from the event?
- Use your imagination and have fun at this stage!
Plan the Event
So you’ve decided on your goal for the event. Time to figure out how you’re going to achieve them.
- Consider your venue, what type of food and beverage you would like, and how many people will be attending.
- Create a schedule for the event and the overall event features.
- Will you have entertainment? A meal?
- What is your vision for the event?
Create a Budget
- What can you actually afford to do? Will you be charging for tickets, admission, selling merchandise?
- Check out the “Event Budget Template” under the Resources & Downloads on our website to help you get through this step.
- Input your estimated costs for the details you have already planned, such as venue and food costs.
- Remember that you can apply for grants through SGS to help with the costs of your event!
Make a timeline! Lay out specific goals leading up to your event.
Submit your event for review and approval on BearsDen a minimum of 10 full business days prior to event (see below!)
- Do some marketing and promotion after you receive approval.
- Talk to SGS about helping with promotion.
- Recruit and train volunteers, if you need them
- Ensure that you are following all the University's policies and procedures that are applicable, and talk to the SERM Coordinator if you have any questions.
Submit Your Event for Approval
Remember that all events and activities outside of a general meeting must be submitted for approval. To submit your event:
- Log into BearsDen
- Find your group's profile page and click the “Events” tab at the top of the page
- Click "Create Event"
- Fill out the form as it prompts you, and make sure to click submit at the end.
- Reminder that you must receive approval prior to advertising for your event!
Your ability to create events is linked to your executive roster and registration. Please have your executive members adjust their privacy settings so that they will appear in the public roster. This should make the "Create Event" button appear when they go to your group's profile page.
Follow these steps to adjust your privacy settings:
- Log in to BearsDen
- Click on your name in the top right-hand corner; click "Settings"
- Click on Privacy Settings
- You should see a list of the organizations of which you are a member. Click on the "Show" switch. If "Show" is blue, then you will appear on the public officer roster.
*If you still can't see the Create Event button, you may not have the right permissions within your group. Ask your group executive to add you as an officer with full events access. You may also not yet be registered. Talk to Student Group Services about this: email@example.com.
Make sure you submit your form at least ten full business days prior to your event! If you have any problems, contact Chelsea Livingstone, the SERM Coordinator and she'll help you out!
09:30am - 4:30pm
Monday to Friday
Student Group Services Office
0-81 Student Life Central
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW