2017 SU Elections
The SU Elections Office is the independent, impartial office responsible for conducting SU elections, plebiscites, and referenda.
The Elections Office reports directly to Students' Council.
The nomination package is now available for the Executive Election here!
The nomination package is now available for the Council Election here!
The dates for the 2017 SU Executive/BoG Rep Election and Students' Council/General Faculties Council Election are below.
February 16, 2017: Executive/BoG Rep Election Nomination Deadline
February 27, 2017: Executive/BoG Rep Election Campaign Begins
March 8 & 9, 2017: Executive/BoG Rep Election Voting Days
March 13, 2017: Students Council/General Faculties Council Election Nomination Deadline
March 14, 2017: Students Council/General Faculties Council Election Campaign Begins
March 22 & 23, 2017: Students Council/General Faculties Council Election Voting Days
Appointed General Faculties Councillors
As per Bylaw, various vacancies have been filled for General Faculties Councillors after applications were sent in to the Nomination Committee. The successful applicants are listed below.
Arts: John Hampson, Adina Iliescu
Education: John Evjen
Nursing: Saige Godberson-Parlin
Physical Education and Recreation: Andrew Steele
Vacancy petitions are now available here! For the Students' Council seats open in Education and Physical Education/Recreation, you have to opportunity to fill the vacant seat by filling out this form, and submitting it to Discover Governance in SUB 6-24 by February 1st.
Please make sure you read the package and Bylaw 100, Section 20, and e-mail email@example.com if you have any questions.
The results have been calculated, and the winners of the by-election for both Students' Council and General Faculties Council are below! Thanks to all candidates for their hard work in keeping the campaign clean and fair.
- GFC: Jon Kolo
- SC: Emil Yim
- GFC: Paris Morin, Wajiha Islam
- GFC: Harley Vanselow
Medicine and Dentistry:
- GFC: Jack Zhang
- SC: Nathan Sunday
- GFC: Colin Mulholland
- GFC: Danny Gomez
- SC: Alex Kwan
- GFC: Alex Kwan
- SC: Rachel Wang, Hyejun Kim
- GFC: Matthew Fung
After the conclusion of the by-election, the following seats are still vacant, and may be filled through the SU's Nominating Committee, or a potential Vacancy Petition.
ALES - 2 GFC seats
Arts - 2 GFC seats
Augustana - 1 GFC seat
Education - 2 SC seats, 4 GFC seats
Nursing - 1 GFC seat
Physical Education and Recreation - 1 SC seat, 1 GFC seat
There are typically three elections throughout the year:
1. Fall By-Election
- Election to fill vacancies on Students' Council and the General Faculties Council.
- Voting days for 2016 will be Wednesday, October 5 and Thursday, October 6.
2. Students' Union Executive Committee/Undergraduate Board of Governors Representative Election
- Election to fill the President, Vice Presidents, and Board of Governors representative positions.
- Plebiscite and/or Referenda questions, if any, occur during this election.
- Occurs during the first week of March each year.
- Stay tuned for updates in January 2017.
3. Students' Council (SC)/General Faculties Council (GFC) Elections
- Election of councillors from the various faculties to either Students' Council or the General Faculties Council.
- Faculty Association (FA) elections are encouraged to participate.
- Occurs during third week in March each year.
- Stay tuned for specific dates and updates in January 2017.
Bodies Elected by Students' Union Members
- President: Acts as the primary spokesperson for the Students’ Union.
- VP Academic: Advocates for students' interests within the University community and beyond.
- VP External: Responsible for Students' Union government and community relations.
- VP Operations and Finance: Responsible for managing the SU's $10 million budget.
- VP Student Life: Responsible for university-related non-academic issues.
Acts as a voice for the undergraduate student body on the University of Alberta Board of Governors, the ultimate decision making authority of the university. This student works in coordination with the SU President (another BoG member) and also sits as a voting member of the SU Students' Council.
The highest governing body of the Students' Union. This council has ultimate decision-making authority over all aspects of the organization.
The academic legislative body of the University of Alberta. This council deals with all academic matters and student affairs issues (as set out in the Alberta Post-Secondary Learning Act). It is the highest level at which academic decisions are made, and is chaired by the President of the University of Alberta.
Plebiscites and Referenda
Plebiscites and referenda can either be initiated by SU Students' Council or by individual SU members. For more information, please visit Plebiscites and Referenda.
After casting your ballot in the SU General Election, you will have the option to vote in the APIRG Board Elections. APIRG is a student-run, student-funded, non-profit organization dedicated to research, education, advocacy, and action in the public interest.
Interested in running for a position on the APIRG Board? Find more information on the APIRG elections here.
Students' Union Elections Office
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW