Students' Union Building (SUB)
Owned and operated by the Students' Union, SUB is a hub of student activity, and houses all of the SU's services and the majority of its businesses.
We recently completed our latest renovation project. It is a significant update which addresses weak spots in how the building developed over time... and for the first time since the building was built, opens up the lower level of SUB with the addition of a spectacular new atrium space, and a totally new outdoor "patio".
The project is designed to achieve two important long-term goals: ensuring that the building continues to be kept up-to-date and well-maintained, and encouraging student involvement in campus groups, events, and volunteer opportunities. Key elements of the renovation include:
- Significantly expanded social and study space;
- Improved facilities to support our more than 400 student groups, including additional bookable spaces;
- Created Student Life Central, an involvement centre that connects students with volunteer and student group opportunities, and works with the University to promote the many academically-oriented involvement options available to students;
- Rearranged SU-operated student services to enhance accessibility; and
- Developed a student governance centre, incorporating student elections, student legislative offices, and Discover Governance, a student-directed governance advisory service.
Come by and explore the bright new Atrium.
During the Fall and Winter terms, SUB is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week (except during the holiday period between terms). During the Spring and Summer months, SUB is open 7am to 11pm, seven days a week (except holidays).
The building contains several different spaces (including a designated "quiet space" on the Lower Level) where students can study or relax for as long as they choose, an essential service that is a key part of a thriving campus environment.
SUB Building Directory
Detailed floor plans for the building are available below:
We also have a “exploded view” map of the whole building which lists all the different locations with small scale floors plans.
History of SUB
Over its 40+ year history, SUB has continually evolved to meet student needs, with expansions, renovations and ongoing upgrades.
- Opened in 1967, the building was featured in Time Magazine as the largest and most complete student space in Canada.
- The design, construction and financing of SUB were arranged entirely by the students' own enterprise.
- The cast-iron mural on the south side of the building was created by the late Jordi Bonet, an award-winning Montreal artist.
- The large fire pit, created by Jonathan Wood, inspired the design of the SU's unique flame logo.
- The Lower Level was once home to eight bowling lanes and six sheets of curling ice.
- In 2011, the building was certified by the Building Owners and Managers Association of Canada, and awarded a BOMA BESt Level 2 Certification. BOMA BESt is the Canadian industry standard for commercial building sustainability: the award is a remarkable achievement for an older building like SUB, and a testament to how well the building has been managed and maintained over the years.