We believe in reducing social isolation and increasing social supports for LGBTQ+ individuals.
We do this through our regular programming and drop-in hours.
If you have visited the Landing during drop-in hours, please complete our visitor feedback survey here. This helps us to improve our services. Thank you!
The Landing operates in the Fall/Winter semester (September to April). Our hours are Monday to Thursday, 11am-4pm.
Anyone is welcome to drop-in during open hours and use the space to meet with friends, do homework, chat with one of our knowledgeable and supportive volunteers, find resources and referrals, ask questions, or simply spend time in a space dedicated to inclusivity.
Students, staff, faculty, alumni, and community members of all genders and sexualities are welcome.
Outside of drop-in hours and from May to August, appointments for support or referrals can be scheduled via email based on staff or volunteer availability.
Programming details are for 2019/2020 academic year
Second Wednesday of every month, 4:00-5:30 pm at the Landing.
Spectrum is a community support space for LGBTQ+, allied, and questioning individuals. Volunteers lead a casual, facilitated discussion group and provide peer support and mentorship to those who need it. Join us to chat about a monthly topic over snacks, tea, and hot chocolate!
Trans Meet-up is one of the Landing's regular programs and is a casual hangout space for trans and non-binary people of all genders and gender expressions to hang out, share experiences, share resources, and get to know other trans folks in a friendly space.
Second Monday of every month, 4:00-5:00 pm at the Landing.
Weaving Body, Mind and Spirit
Weavings is one of the Landing's regular programs and is a weekly drop in safe space/community where we can nourish ourselves spiritually and learn about spirituality and sexuality from a queer affirming perspective.
Who is it for?
LGBTQ+ folks and allies who:
- respect and uphold the values of a safer/brave space.
- are curious and want to learn more about spirituality.
- want to build trusting relationships.
- want to create a spiritual LGBTQ+ community.
- want to learn about other LGBTQ+ affirming spiritual communities
We will do this by:
- Having LGBTQ+ guest speakers to talk about their communities and experiences of spirituality.
- Developing trusting relationships and community that embraces and honors the intersections between LGBTQ+ experience and spirituality.
- Holding values of confidentiality, non-judgement, respect for difference and meeting the needs of safe spaces for others.
- Creating a list of groups and places that affirm LGBTQ+ spirituality/ faith/ sexuality.
- Make the links between our attitudes and beliefs about sexuality and spirituality
- Practice nourishing our spirits at each gathering
- Understanding our lived experience of being judged by religious communities and beliefs in a non judgmental space
A queer and trans specific poetry collective where each month we have a meeting to explore different LGBTQ2SPIA+ poets together, followed by a time to write and optionally share your own work. We end each semester with a poetry showcase night where you have the chance to perform in a safe, encouraging, and supportive environment!
Books and zines on topics related to gender and sexuality are available to reference or borrow. Check out our book catalogue here, and stop by The Landing to browse and sign out resources!
Not sure where to go? Looking for LGBTQPIA2S+-friendly groups, services or resources either on campus or off campus? The Landing can help point students and staff in the right direction by providing up to date information on what’s available and how to access the support that’s needed.
If you would like to receive occasional email updates from The Landing, sign up for our newsletter here.
Please see "Learn" tab for sign-ups and more information!
Fall/Winter Term Hours
Monday to Thursday
11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Closed Friday to Sunday
By appointment only;
contact by email or phone
0-68A Lower Level
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW