Where involvement begins.
Membership and Registration Levels
To start a student group, you need to have at least 10 members who are current students at the University of Alberta. If you're finding it hard to recruit members, we suggest using the BearsDen Organizations Directory to locate some existing groups with similar pursuits and seeing if anyone is interested. Contact SGS for more suggestions!
Every student group is registered first with the University of Alberta. Requirements for this recognition include:
- General Membership must be at least 10 current students of the University of Alberta
- General Membership, once it has met the 10 students minimum, must be at least 2/3 students when non-student members are permitted membership in the student group
- All executive members for the student group must be current University of Alberta students.
You may also be able to register with the Students’ Union, Graduate Students Association or Campus Recreation. See the chart below for the different membership requirements.
|Students' Union||2/3 must be U of A undergraduate students||100% must be current U of A students, and 75% must be Undergraduate Students|
|Graduate Students' Association||2/3 must be graduate students||75% must be graduate students|
|Campus Recreation||Subject to Campus Rec approval||Subject to Campus Rec approval|
Knowing your responsibilities as a registered student group is important. For this reason, all groups are required to sign a Liability Agreement. By signing this agreement as part of your student group registration, you are acknowledging that you have read the policies that pertain to student groups at the University of Alberta and agree to abide by them.
Main Student Group Policies
- UAPPOL Student Group Procedure
- Code of Student Behaviour
- Students’ Union Bylaw 5600 (for SU-registered groups only)
- GSA Governing Documents (for GSA-registered groups only)
- Sport & Recreation Clubs Policy (for Club Sports organizations only)
- Students’ Union Bylaw 8100, 8200, 8400 (for Student Representative Associations only)
Other Applicable Policies
- Alberta Gaming & Liquor Regulations
- Alcohol License, Permit Application Procedures
- Alcohol at University Events Policy
- Canvassing and Solicitation Policy
- Casual Event Booking Procedure
- Discrimination & Harassment Policy
- Disruption, Discrimination, Dissemination of Malicious Material, Violations of Safety & Dignity
- Gaming Licenses
- Outdoor Event Site Booking Procedure
- Use of Name or Symbol of the University
Additional Registration Requirements
Most student groups will not need their own insurance, but if your group is a registered non-profit organization or other legal entity, or is involved with many high risk activities, your group should have its own insurance policy. If your group does have its own insurance, you’ll need to provide proof of this to the SGS office. For more on the requirements for student group insurance, please see this document from University Insurance and Risk Assessment.
If your group will be handling any money, you will need to have a student group bank account. The bank account information should be submitted with the online form. If your group needs to start up a new bank account or transfer signing authorities, SGS will be happy to provide you with a letter of confirmation for your bank once all other registration steps have been completed. The only exceptions to this are groups whose funding is handled through a faculty or department on campus – if these apply, you may not be asked to set up an external account.
In some cases, student groups that are closely affiliated with external organizations, charities, or businesses will be required to submit an affiliate letter with their registration. SGS will contact your group if this letter is required.
SGS will contact your group if we have need of any more information, or if we don’t fully understand the information submitted to us. Our office reviews all registration applications thoroughly so that we can provide the best possible service to student groups.
09:30am - 4:30pm
Monday to Friday
Student Group Services Office
0-81 Student Life Central
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW