Student Group Granting Program
The Students’ Union administers the Student Group Granting program. Since funds are provided by the Students' Union, and only SU-level groups are eligible for grants.
Have an event happening in Spring/Summer 2018? Don't miss the granting deadline!
Click HERE to access the forms!
2017-18 Application Deadlines:
|Applications Open||Application Deadline||Activity/Conference has to fall within:|
|May 01 - 31, 2017||Wednesday, May 31st, 2017||July 19 - December 31|
|September 01 - 30, 2017||Saturday, September 30th, 2017||January 01 - April 30|
|January 01 - 30, 2018||Wednesday, January 31st, 2018||May 01 - August 31|
Granting Info Sessions
Do you need help with your granting application, or want to learn more about the granting process and procedure? Student Group Services can be your guru. Our Granting Advice Sessions cover the process, procedure, and walk you through the applications section-by-section.
Our next Granting Information Session will be January 25, 2018(Thursday). Sign up here!
Grant Application Meetings
SGS is available to meet with you in the weeks leading up to the granting deadlines to answer your questions and help you to write strong applications. Book an appointment to set up a meeting before the next deadline! Please note: staff will not read drafts of your application. If you would like help with another set of eyes, we recommend booking an appointment (free!) at the Centre for Writers on campus.
Click here to watch the informational YouTube video : Get Funded: Granting Fundamentals.
How to Apply
- Read the Application thoroughly on BearsDen to make sure you know what you're eligible for, what limits there are, and get everything in order.
Still confused? SGS to the rescue! We have budget templates, sample applications (coming soon!), and check right above for our info session dates! (Let us know if the templates don't download properly on your computer, and we can email them to you!)
Great! Now, go to the Student Group Granting Committee's BearsDen page and fill out the appropriate application form completely - well in advance of the granting deadline. Refer to Step 1 (or email us) if you don't know which category you should apply under.
- Start-Up Grant: This grant is intended to offer initial support to new groups so they can increase their visibility on campus, recruit new members and develop their material capacity to start operating on campus.
- Re-Start Grant: Intended to help groups that have suffered from a dramatic loss of membership, participation, or basic resources on campus due to a poor financial year/ failed transition process. The grant must contribute to an existing plan to bring your group back to functioning capacity, visibility, and/or membership.
- Conference Grant: If your group intends to attend a representative activity off campus that's hosted by a third party, then this grant can offer your group financial support.
- Activity Grant Plan on hosting an event as a group? This grant can provide you with up 50% of the overall costs. Consideration is given to events hosted on campus and in Edmonton, but accessible events beyond the city will also be considered.
Hopefully you have some extra time on your hands, since you completed everything so early. Now, make an appointment with SGS! We'll review your application and give you any insider tips we can.
Revise your application as necessary, and submit it to our office by the granting deadline. We can't accept late applications, and we don't make exceptions - so be punctual!
And there's your quick-and-easy guide to granting. If you still have questions, send us an email or drop in to say hi and we'll help you through.
Other Granting Resources
We have compiled a list of other sources of funding available to students both on and off campus. Please take advantage of the opportunities available to you! Click here to access the list.
09:00am - 5:00pm
Monday to Friday
Student Group Services Office
0-81 Student Life Central
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW