Your Campus Connection
The volunteer project will support a school in Mae Chaem district of Chiang Mai Province. It is an alternative school and learning center for hill tribe children who come from poor families and very remote mountain areas. The learning center provides the children with free education, accommodation, food and occupation training, and plays important role in preserving their culture. There are 58 students in the school, 12-15 years old. They are from the Karen and Hmong hill tribes.
• Creative English teaching – The aim is to enable local people to communicate in another language and get to know a different culture. The volunteers will visit a primary school and practice English with the students. In their teaching, volunteers will use intercultural activities, games, songs, storytelling and dancing, focusing on communication, listening and speaking.
• School renovation - The students’ accommodation needs renovation as it is quite old. Volunteers will help make it a better and nicer place for kids to live and learn in. The volunteers can also help in the construction of a new building for the learning center.
• Farming - Volunteers and students will work together on the school’s farm in 5 different occupation training programs: cow farm, pig farm, fish and frog farm, rabbit farm and chicken farm. The group can also plant more vegetables for the school lunch project.
• Building relationships with the villagers – Besides the main tasks, important part of the project is the cultural exchange, learning and sharing with the local villagers. The volunteers will be visiting them to chat and do activities together. This will be an enriching experience for all.
• Ecotourism – There are many interesting places to visit in the community such as a Buddhist temple, a waterfall, a national park, etc. The volunteers will visit these places and will help keep them clean by collecting garbage and promoting recycling.
Duration of the project: 1 to 4 months. The project is running from June to September and from November to February. The volunteer placements start on the 1st of the month.
For more info and other projects in Thailand, please go to: http://cadip.org/volunteering-in-thailand or give us a call: 604-628-7400
CADIP Volunteering Worldwide: http://cadip.org
Canada, France, Iceland, Germany, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Ecuador, Greece, Kenya, India, Italy, Bolivia, Botswana, Korea, Mexico, Uganda, Peru, Egypt, Vietnam, Spain, Nepal, Thailand, Togo, Turkey, Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe ...
Special requirements: Respect for other cultures, open mind and love for learning and sharing.
Volunteers are required to participate in an orientation week in Songkhla from the 1st to the 5th of the month before the start of the project.
Participating in an international short term volunteer project (so called Workcamp) can be an exciting prospect. It is an interesting and meaningful way to travel with purpose and spend 2-3 weeks in a foreign environment. Working and living together with other volunteers from around the world provides an excellent opportunity to make many new friends, learn about unknown places and culture, gain new skills and experience. Your time, energy, and enthusiasm can make a difference in areas where help is really needed.
After successful participation CADIP issues a certificate for the completed volunteer hours.
Duration: One Time Ongoing
Faculty: ALES (Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences) All Faculties Arts Augustana Business Campus Saint-Jean Education Engineering Law Library and Information Studies Medicine and Dentistry Native Studies Nursing Pharmacy Public Health Rehabilitation Medicine Science
Location: Outside Canada
Contact:Name: Program coordinator
Student Life Central (SUB 0-81): 9am - 5pm, Mon - Fri
InfoLink Main Office
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW