A Bylaw Respecting Students’ Union Bilingualism
1 Translation Requirements
- The following governing documents of the Students’ Union shall be made publicly available in both English and French:
- Bylaw; and
- Political Policy.
- The Translation Committee shall be responsible for the creation and maintenance of governing documents in French:
- The Committee shall begin translation of all new bylaws and policies, or changes thereof, at the first opportunity following their approval by Students’ Council;
- The completion of translation of governing documents by Translation Committee shall be completed no later than three (3) months after their passage.
- The Committee shall obtain an annual translation audit of all governing documents that have been created or modified in the Council year;
- The audit shall be executed by a certified professional translator
- The Committee shall begin to rectify inconsistencies noted by the audit at the first opportunity.
- The rectification of inconsistencies shall be completed no more than two (2) months after Translation Committee receives the results of the audit.
- Students’ Council shall debate the English version of first and second readings of Bylaw and Political Policy.
- The English version of governing documents shall be enforceable.
- When discrepancies arise between the two translations, the English version shall take precedence.