Where involvement begins.
President and Treasurer Training
Student Group Services provides specialized executive training for Presidents and Treasurers of student groups on campus. Attendance at this training is mandatory for the elected President(s) and Treasurer of your group as part of the club's recognition agreement registration. Training must be completed by the last day of the second month following your election month. For more details, see our Registration How To page.
Your group's president will have to attend this session as part of your registration. If the president cannot attend, an appointed proxy (replacement representative) may attend.
- The session will take approximately three hours from start to finish.
- You should bring a pen, a notebook, anything you need to take notes! The session will involve time for networking, so bring business cards or group materials if you have any!
- We will be providing a meal. If you have any restrictions, please indicate in your registration!
- If you show up more than 15 minutes after the beginning of the first session, your attendance will not be counted.
As part of the new President's Training Program, we will offer a variety of breakout sessions on different topics. Once you have completed your RSVP ticket order, please rank the sessions in order of preference using our Google Form.
- Leadership 101: learn the basics of self awareness in leadership, adaptive leadership practices, and what to expect from your year. Recommended for first-time Presidents and executive team members.
- Self Care and Burnout Prevention: learn about how to recognize burnout in yourself and others, and discover strategies for self care to make the most of your year while being mindful of your health needs.
- Managing Conflict - Making Conflict Constructive: learn additional skills for managing conflicts and disagreements in your student group, and how it can make your club even stronger!
- Diversity and Inclusion in Clubs: Learn about the importance of making clubs safe spaces for all, and some best practices for welcoming wide varieties of students to join your membership.
- Facilitating Effective Meetings: learn more about how to maximize your meeting time with your clubs with agendas, various meeting structures and strategies.
RSVP on Eventbrite below! Please use the correct ticket type according to your role.
Treasurer Training will now be taking place online through EClass. To sign up for the online module, please follow the link below to sign up! Make sure to complete Treasurer Training before the deadline assigned to your group!
Event Organizer Training
As part of your registration process, one person from your group will be required to complete Event Organizer Training, which is valid for one calendar year from the date that you take it. If you are holding high-risk events (alcohol, travel, physical activity, etc) you will be required to send two group members to the session. Please be prepared to attend the seminar from 5:00PM - 8:00PM and register for a ProServe activation ticket through this link.
NEW – July 1, 2016 ProServe is now required for the Primary and Secondary Event Organizer only when the group will be serving the alcohol themselves at the event. That means that if you are holding an event at an On-Campus Licensed Venue (RATT, Deweys, Faculty Club, Lister etc.) or an Off-Campus Licensed Venue (bars, clubs, restaurants etc.) you will not require ProServe! Check out this Process Map to see if you need ProServe or not!
We encourage you to complete the freely-provided ProServe PRIOR to attending the in-person session, but don't worry if you are unable to complete it before attending EOT. If you already have ProServe, please email the SERM Coordinator a picture or screenshot of your card to be recorded on file.
EOT will be regularly scheduled one to two times per month. Please note that there is a minimum participant requirement of 25 people. If a session has less than 25 people signed up, it may be cancelled at the discretion of the SERM Coordinator. To sign up, please click on the link below and complete the Eventbrite form. If you see a webpage that says "Not Yet Available" or that says "Not Started", then registration for that session is not open yet. Please check back closer to the event date (approximately 3 weeks prior).
UPDATE: March 13: Additional training dates will be released in May 2017, held occasionally over the Spring and Summer Terms as needed. The regular schedule will resume in August 2017.**
For any questions, please contact Chelsea Livingstone, the Student Event Risk Management Coordinator in the Office of the Dean of Students at email@example.com.
09:30am - 4:30pm
Monday to Friday
Student Group Services Office
0-81 Student Life Central
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW